The Ruby Dee Legacy of Sisterhood Scholarship
The Ruby Dee Legacy of Sisterhood Scholarship is made possible by a generous donation to the Delta Research and Educational Foundation (DREF) contributed by Dr. Francene Breakfield and L. Denise Wells, longtime members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and the co-authors of An Anthology of Sisterhood. DREF is proud to announce the availability of the 2018-2019 Ruby Dee Legacy of Sisterhood Scholarship. The scholarship is administered by DREF. Scholarships will be awarded to a current undergraduate student who best meets the requirements set forth by the benefactors along with the Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis family.
The $1,000 merit-based scholarship will be awarded annually to a deserving African American female student who is either a junior or senior collegiate or a graduate student majoring in English, Literature, Drama, Art, Music, African American Studies, Communications, Education, Fine Arts, Performing Arts, or Visual Arts. The application is now available online here.
The Scholarship Selection Committee will review and rate all applications submitted. Applicant’s references may be contacted by telephone. The Scholarship Selection Committee may also choose to interview final candidates. The scholarship recipient will be notified by June 15, 2019.
Applicants must meet the following guidelines:
- Currently attend an accredited college or university on a full-time basis.
- Be a female enrolled as a junior, senior or a graduate student.
- Must have a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale.
- Must be actively pursuing a degree in a Humanities discipline ( see list above) at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Demonstrated community service and leadership skills – which is clearly reflected in recommendation letters.
- Applicants must have permanent residency (home address) in a state that is part of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority’s Southern Region or Eastern Region. Preference will be given to applicants from Georgia and New York.
- The applicant should note any special financial needs on their application form.
All applications and supporting documents must be received by March 21, 2019.
Please advise your college registrar of this deadline for submission of transcripts and other
Student must submit the completed application form and all requested documents via email to email@example.com